March 2017 Meeting

 

Attendance:

 

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Emily Macphail

 

 

Absent:

Na’ama Avitzur

Steven Toor

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements - none

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves February minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Sarah Smith

§  Seconder: Lenka Stafl

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Presentation on the renovations to the BACs center

Presenter: Dr. Hatfield

Estimated time: 15 min

Notes:

-          Renovation of the BACs center -> to become Community Engagement Hub

-          Global health, indigenous health, community engagement learning center (linking to community programs), central area for engagement environment (open space for sharing ideas, Lindsay project)

-          Need to make an announcement to the class about the changes; UME wants to start advertising this soon

 

Update and presentation of Global Health Town Hall outcome

Presenters: Nicole Thompson

Estimated time: 10 min

 

 

 

Budget Presentation and Discussion

Presenter: Lauren Griggs

Estimated time: 30 min

Mover: Alex Dittrich

Seconder: Stephanie Smith

Budget passed

Notes:

-          Use IFMS for some of our electives?; if we decide against sending someone to IFMSA, do we want to see if that money can be used for Federal Political Action Day

-          UME funding for speaker events?

-          Council can pass budget change for special speakers

-          Strategic planning retreat?

 

Presentation about email and event fatigue

              Presenter: Stephanie Smith

Uzair to follow up with Michelle, Comms Director

 

Discussion on transition was had and it was determined that documents need to be updated for next election

-          Alex to make resolution for new VP Social, Lauren to make it for VP Comms

 

 

Unfinished Business:

BIRT the position of Skills Day co-chair becomes an elected position, in the Spring Election for each respective class.

Additional details: Currently there is no formalized process for selecting the 2 individuals that will lead the Skills Day committee (composed of interest group representatives). Skills Day is an annual event

Mover: Uzair Jogiat

Seconder: Stephanie Smith

Dealt with outside of CMSA

 

BIRT VP External will be responsible for selecting class members to attend any External events associated with CFMS, IFMS, AMA, CMA and Federal Lobby Day. When a conflict of interest is present, VP External will request that President select two CMSA members to assist VP External in the selection process (10 mins)

Mover: Stephanie Smith

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

No update

 

BIRT the annual $2000 in funding supplied by the UME under the title "IFMSA" be used to send one student to the annual spring International Federation of Medical Student's Conference, and that this student will be selected through an application submitted to the Senior VP External, Senior President and Junior President.

              Mover: Chantal Badger

Uzair to find out value of IFMSA from UME

 

 

New Business

BIRT the name of our student “Mentor” program be changed to “Peer Advisor” in order to clarify and differentiate the support roles we have in place for the incoming class.

Mover: Lenka Stafl

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Motion passed

 

BIRT the president’s budget be amended under the budget line of CMSA Team Building from $700 to $2000 and renaming it to CMSA Planning Retreat.

              Mover: Stephanie Smith

              Seconder: Nicole Thompson

              Motion passed