June 28th 2017 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Wednesday, June 28, 2017

 

Attendance:

 

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Lenka Stafl

Na’ama Avitzur

Alex Dittrich

 

 

Absent:

Stephanie Smith

Steven Toor

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Announcements

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves June minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover:

§  Seconder:

§  Did not approve at this meeting; to be approved online

 

 

Resolutions

Be it resolved that the CMSA accept the changes made to the organizational structure.

              Mover: Uzair Jogiat

              Seconder: Lenka Stafl

              Motion Passes

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Drafting of Resolutions

Presenter: Uzair Jogiat

Estimated time: 1hr

Notes:

-          Resolutions to be drafted:

o   Keep 1 VP Events and add 4 event coordinators – Alex will write up resolution and description

§  Election manual will outline what events coordinators will be responsible for and that they could help with any of these events

o   VP Communications document and added IT Officer – Uzair to update template

o   Revert to VP External Provincial and National – Uzair and Stephanie to create template

 

 

CMSA Constitution Review

Presenter: Uzair Jogiat

Estimated time: 1hr

Notes on further changes to constitution:

1.      Funding policy added

2.      Clause regarding ties

3.      Clause regarding public vs. private meetings*

4.      Remove Clerkship Committee Reps

5.      Exam reps will move to 2 positions

6.      Electives rep to report to VP Education

7.      FMWC rep to report to VP External

8.      Humanities rep to report to VP Education

9.      Thank you rep to report to VP SAW

10.  International electives rep to report to VP GH

11.  Blood Drive rep to be moved under Event Coordinator

12.  VP GH will talk to FMIG/RMIG about their roles on CMSA

13.  Change to Director of Community Initiatives

o   Will elect one representative, with a budget line, remove interest group for next year

o   Budget requested: $2000 budget -> 2 schools, 2 events each, $1000 each event

14.  GAAC will add advocacy symposium to list of responsibilities and needs to add to template

15.  LOGHE position to be created and selected via internal process in GHC; VP GH will write position template

 

 

Selection of Legacy Project

Presenter: Lauren Griggs

Estimated time: 20mins

Notes:

-          Increase Interest Group funding from $3000-$5000

o   Raise it to $4000

-          Revamp lower gym and update gym membership to Kinetix

o   Lauren and Lenka to research

-          Increase funding for student lounge upgrades

o   New piano for the lounge

o   Espresso machine – Van Heuson

o   Replace couches

-          Money for speakers/events that are one off’s, but are important to class

o   Send out call to class for potentials

-          Panel to bring in key personnel to class

o   They often pay for that; case by case

-          Business cards

o   Through VP’s own budget

-          Meet and Greet for council and UME

o   Would ask UME to pay

 

 

Discussion on Leave of Absence vs. Elected CMSA Position

-          2019 LOIH to keep position for 2019 and 2020 years when he returns in 2020 class

-          To be discussed in more detail at next meeting

 

 

Other to be discussed items at next meeting:

-          Skills Day – amount, funding; need to invite Alexis

 

 

June 9th 2017 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Friday, June 9, 2017

 

Attendance:

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Na’ama Avitzur

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves May minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Lenka Stafl

§  Seconder: Na’ama Avitzur

§  Motion passes

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

CMSA Constitution Review

 

Review of the Political Structure

Presenter: Nicole Thompson

Estimated time: 1 hr

Notes:

-          Elective rep -> under VP Academics

-          Resolution for Interest Groups

o   Interest groups -> FMIG/RMIG shouldn’t be elected into CMSA; change their roles (more specific) and put them under VP External

o   Remove EMIG as elected position

o   Make sure to take interest groups off the website.

-          Director of Community Initiatives – Give budget line, no longer an IG. (Talk to Paige about this)

-          Calgary Guide vs. Black Book: Should both Calgary Guide and Black book Rep be elected. Talk to reps regarding this.

-          Clerkship Committee Rep will be removed from elections handbook (and spring elections). Clerkship representatives or president will fill position if VP Education cannot.

-          RSS – Look at the feasibility of this group. Talk to Kea and Usama.

-          Exam Rep – Will move to two reps.

-          Election Ties – Exec roles will have a re-election. Non-exec roles will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

-          President will talk to Coderre and Busche about GEP and Professionalism Rep. Training in professionalism/conflict resolution.

o   GEP and Professionalism -> both under SAW

-          Humanities Rep – Needs a budget line. Reports to VP GH.

-          Thank you rep – VP SAW

-          VP Events – Create event coordinators (4) for portfolio to delegate specific events.

-          Advocacy Day will now be under GAAC.

-          Discuss Skills Days at a later day (too many, not well received).

-          LOGHE – Will be selected via an internal process in the GHC.

-          International Elective reports to VP GH.

-          CFMS

-          Alberta College of Family Physicians should be elected under VP External

-          Canadian College of Family Physicians

-          Taking the above positions away from FMIG and RMIG ^

-          VP Provincial will be created (AMA Rep)

 

 

Deleted positions:

-          Clerkship Rep (2)

-          EMIG (2)

-          Med Show Director

Positions to Discuss:

-          FMIG

-          RMIG

-          FMIG media coordinator

-          Director Community Initiatives

-          Black Book Reps (3)

-          RSS coordinators (2)

-          Professionalism Reps (2)

-          GEP

 

 

Reflection of Team Dynamics

Presenter: Lenka Stafl

Estimated time: 1hr

May 2017 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Monday, May 8, 2017

 

Attendance:

 

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Na’ama Avitzur

 

 

Absent:

Steven Toor

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

o   Announcements

§   

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves April minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Na’ama Avitzur

§  Seconder: Alex Dittrich

§  Motion passes

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Presentation on student outreach for Q&As and High School Undergrad events

              Presenter: Alexis Scarello

              Estimated time: 5min

Notes:

-          Need to determine which portfolio it would fit under

-          Good to have people who are trained in how to talk to potential medical students. Want to make sure it reaches out to all students, not just those at U of C

-          Want to partner with UME / Admissions to ensure its official

-          To be discussed more at the retreat and a formal request brought to UME for their assistance

 

Presentation on Climate Change Officer position

Presenter: Danielle Smith

Estimated time: 10min

Notes:

-          Put it within GHA? Or under LOGHE?

-          To be discussed at the retreat

 

 

Planning of CMSA Retreat (June 9, 2017)

Estimated time: 30min (10min talk, 20min discussion)

-          Review of the Constitution

-          Drafting of VP Comms and Editing/Addition of other CMSA positions

-          Reflection on our team dynamics

Notes:

-          Goals:

o   Looking at constitution and correct any errors; look at roles within constitution and see if they’re realistic and change them if need be

o   Looking at the positions and structure of CMSA -> who reports to who, what positions exist, etc.

o   How team is functioning/team dynamic’s

o   Discussion on legacy project(s)

o   Update elections handbook and constitution

-          Everyone should review the constitution beforehand

-          Team building lunch and 15 min dedicated coffee break

-          Agenda -> Lunch (Moose’s, Gus’s, etc.) until 2, meeting until 6-7

-          September -> meeting with UME key players with new council

 

 

Unfinished Business:

BIRT the CMSA provide funding for the purchase of female goalie hockey gear to be used during Ice Bowl/Friday hockey.

Mover: Na’ama Avitzur

Seconder: Alex Dittrich

Notes:

-          Athletics Director -> Friday hockey put under that portfolio?

-          Discussion to continue outside of council – Alex, Luc, Lauren to discuss

-          Table indefinitely

o   Mover: Sarah Smith

o   Seconder: Lenka Stafl

 

 

New Business

 

April 2017 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Monday, April 10, 2017

 

Attendance:

 

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Emily Macphail

Steven Toor

Franco Rizzuti

Brad Prince

 

 

Absent:

Na’ama Avitzur

 

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements

§  Will no longer use the updates document; will give 2 mins updates if tey have them

§  SGM and CCME approaching – message Uzair if you have agenda items for the PRT

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves March minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover:

§  Seconder:

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Discussion on the Political Structure of the CMSA. Focused on VP External, VP Communications, VP Events Positions, and any structural issues identified thus far.

Presenter: Stephanie Smith

Estimated time: 45min-1hr

Notes:

VP External

-          In future, advocacy day put under GAAC -> let him decide if he wants to run or put out a call for co-chairs

-          Appoint CFMS rep

-          Appoint PARA rep

-          Provide opportunity to GAAC to coordinate Advocacy Day

-          Stephanie will speak with curriculum director regarding pulling her attendance from CFMS

-          A re-write of the VP External section of the constitution will be written

VP Events

-          A change to VP Events position from 1 to 2 people will be written into the constitution and proposed  

VP Communications

-          Tabled until next month’s meeting

 

Comment on Transition Documents

Presenters: Uzair Jogiat

Estimated time: 5 min

Each individual VP to complete their transition document and we will review them in the June council meeting

 

Clerkship committee

-          Rescind positions – VP Academics will sit on council; was missed from earlier years, out of line with constitution, unanimously agreed to within council

 

Need to make appropriate changes to the constitution for next meeting; will be voted on

 

 

Unfinished Business:

BIRT the name of our student “Mentor” program be changed to “Peer Advisor” in order to clarify and differentiate the support roles we have in place for the incoming class.

Mover: Lenka Stafl

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

No follow-up required

 

BIRT the president’s budget be amended under the budget line of CMSA Team Building from $700 to $2000 and renaming it to CMSA Planning Retreat.

Mover: Stephanie Smith

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Possibly date of retreat – May 12th/June 9th

 

 

New Business

BIRT the CMSA provide funding for the purchase of female goalie hockey gear to be used during Ice Bowl/Friday hockey.

Mover: Na’ama Avitzur

Seconder: Alex Dittrich

Item will be dropped and discussed outside of CMSA with Friday Hockey lead

                                                              

BIRT the CMSA add a second VP of Events Position for the incoming class of 2017.

Mover: Alex Dittrich

Seconder:

To be addressed at the CMSA retreat

 

BIRT VP External appoint a CFMS Representative and a PARA representative, and provide GAAC with the opportunity to coordinate Advocacy Day.

BIFRT the CMSA council formally adopt these changes in the next constitiution revision prior to the election of the next council.

Mover: Alex Dittrich

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Motion passed

 

March 2017 Meeting

 

Attendance:

 

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Emily Macphail

 

 

Absent:

Na’ama Avitzur

Steven Toor

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements - none

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves February minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Sarah Smith

§  Seconder: Lenka Stafl

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Presentation on the renovations to the BACs center

Presenter: Dr. Hatfield

Estimated time: 15 min

Notes:

-          Renovation of the BACs center -> to become Community Engagement Hub

-          Global health, indigenous health, community engagement learning center (linking to community programs), central area for engagement environment (open space for sharing ideas, Lindsay project)

-          Need to make an announcement to the class about the changes; UME wants to start advertising this soon

 

Update and presentation of Global Health Town Hall outcome

Presenters: Nicole Thompson

Estimated time: 10 min

 

 

 

Budget Presentation and Discussion

Presenter: Lauren Griggs

Estimated time: 30 min

Mover: Alex Dittrich

Seconder: Stephanie Smith

Budget passed

Notes:

-          Use IFMS for some of our electives?; if we decide against sending someone to IFMSA, do we want to see if that money can be used for Federal Political Action Day

-          UME funding for speaker events?

-          Council can pass budget change for special speakers

-          Strategic planning retreat?

 

Presentation about email and event fatigue

              Presenter: Stephanie Smith

Uzair to follow up with Michelle, Comms Director

 

Discussion on transition was had and it was determined that documents need to be updated for next election

-          Alex to make resolution for new VP Social, Lauren to make it for VP Comms

 

 

Unfinished Business:

BIRT the position of Skills Day co-chair becomes an elected position, in the Spring Election for each respective class.

Additional details: Currently there is no formalized process for selecting the 2 individuals that will lead the Skills Day committee (composed of interest group representatives). Skills Day is an annual event

Mover: Uzair Jogiat

Seconder: Stephanie Smith

Dealt with outside of CMSA

 

BIRT VP External will be responsible for selecting class members to attend any External events associated with CFMS, IFMS, AMA, CMA and Federal Lobby Day. When a conflict of interest is present, VP External will request that President select two CMSA members to assist VP External in the selection process (10 mins)

Mover: Stephanie Smith

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

No update

 

BIRT the annual $2000 in funding supplied by the UME under the title "IFMSA" be used to send one student to the annual spring International Federation of Medical Student's Conference, and that this student will be selected through an application submitted to the Senior VP External, Senior President and Junior President.

              Mover: Chantal Badger

Uzair to find out value of IFMSA from UME

 

 

New Business

BIRT the name of our student “Mentor” program be changed to “Peer Advisor” in order to clarify and differentiate the support roles we have in place for the incoming class.

Mover: Lenka Stafl

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Motion passed

 

BIRT the president’s budget be amended under the budget line of CMSA Team Building from $700 to $2000 and renaming it to CMSA Planning Retreat.

              Mover: Stephanie Smith

              Seconder: Nicole Thompson

              Motion passed

 

 

February 2017 Meeting

Attendance:

David Reading

Nilo Abdo

Bruce Gao

Katy Petrovitch

Chantal Badger

Lauren Galbraith

Na’ama Avitzur

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Sunny Ho

Madison Peaker

Samantha Cheuk

Alex Dittrich

Stephanie Smith

Lenka Stafl

Ruchika Sharma

Steven Toor

Emily Macphail

 

 

Absent:

Mackenzie Grisdale

Jenny Saunders

Ray Yan

 

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements:

§  Need a second VP events

§  Need to review organizational chart

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves January minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: David Reading

§  Seconder: Sunny Ho

 

 

 

Presentations, Reports and/or Discussions:

Motion to make the Skills Chair position for the Medical Skills day an elected CMSA position.

Presenter: Melissa Bouwsema

Estimated time: 5 min

Notes:

-          Looking to make it an elected position for 2 positions

-          Want to make sure it doesn’t overlap and other groups are doing the same thing

-          Could clubs director help to organize this event by working with the individual interest groups?

-          Would be elected in Spring election

 

 

Discussion on Transition

Presenters: Katy Petrovitch, Small Groups

Estimated time: 30 min

Notes:

-          For next meeting, figure out what money could be put towards

 

 

Current Global Health Structure and alignment of positions/interest groups

Presenter: Nicole Thompson

Estimated time: 7 min

Notes:

-          Presentation on overlap between student groups and Global Health portfolio

-          Want alignment and communication to improve

 

 

 

Unfinished Business:

BIRT the following be approved as parliamentary procedures for CMSA Meetings

Order of Business

1. Call to Order

2. Notation of members present

3. Approval and/or amendment of minutes

4. Presentations, reports and/or discussions

5. Special orders

6. Unfinished business

7. New business

8. Announcements

9. Adjournment

Details of Debate

1. Debate will proceed in a pro/con manner (3 pros followed by 3 cons)

2. Questions will be dealt with prior to moving on to the next speaker (Point of Information)

3. Members can reference Roberts Rules for the CMSA during meetings, and the membership can introduce new elements that they see fit in future CMSA meetings.

Additional details: I will be posting this and the additional long-form of the Roberts Rules document that I created on our CMSA Facebook page.

Mover: Sarah Smith

Seconder:

-          Will bring laminated forms next time with information, baby steps in implementing this

 

 

BIRT the CMSA will allocate $50 to a card and gift basket to be delivered to April Gustavson, on behalf of the classes of 2017, 2018, and 2019, to remind her during this rough time how much she’s cared about.

Update: email went out today, basket was delivered, under $50 

 

 

 

New Business

BIRT the position of Skills Day co-chair becomes an elected position, in the Spring Election for each respective class.

Additional details: Currently there is no formalized process for selecting the 2 individuals that will lead the Skills Day committee (composed of interest group representatives). Skills Day is an annual event.

Mover: Lauren Galbraith

Seconder: Madison Peaker

Motion not passed

 

Feedback: Put under FMIG/RMIG?

 

 

BIRT VP External will be responsible for selecting class members to attend any External events associated with CFMS, AMA, CMA and Federal Lobby Day. When a conflict of interest is present VP External will request that President select two CMSA executive members to assist VP External in the selection process. (10 minutes)

Mover: Stephanie Smith

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Motion passed

 

 

BIRT pending the annual $2000 in funding supplied by the UME under the title "IFMSA" be used to send one student to the annual spring International Federation of Medical Student's Conference, and that this student will be selected through an application submitted to the Senior VP External, Senior President and Junior President.

Mover: Chantal Badger

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Motion passed

 

January 2017 Meeting

Attendance:

 

David Reading

Nilo Abdo

Ruchika Sharma

Ray Yan

Bruce Gao

Katy Petrovitch

Mackenzie Grisdale

Chantal Badger

Lauren Galbraith

Jenny Saunders

Na’ama Avitzur

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Emily Macphail

Sunny Ho

Stephanie Smith

Samantha Cheuk

 

 

Absent:

Lenka Stafl

Madison Peaker

Steven Toor

 

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·       Intro (15 mins)

o   Getting food, call for new agenda items 

 

·       Updates (5 mins) and approve minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   Announcements:

§  Shadowing survey – 170 people have filled it out; want to get more goats to fill it out

§  Head Shave – looking for better ways to promote and get donations (last year, most of it happened the day of)

§  February meeting will be first Monday of month – February 6th

§  Survey – faculty appreciation survey – try to get goats to respond

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves December minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Mackenzie

§  Seconder: Bruce

§  Resolution passes

 

 

Update on previous resolutions:

o    BIRT The CMSA consider the establishment of a Climate Change/Medical Sustainability Representative as a non-exec CMSA position. (2-5 min)

§  To be elected with the student executive for the class of 2020

§  Responsible: Danielle Smith

§  Update to come in next meeting from Nicole

 

o    BIRT that an application process be developed and distributed to all students regarding the 4th participant position at Federal Lobby Day 2016 by December 16, 2016.  (2-5 min)

§  Responsible: Nicole Thompson, Stephanie Smith

§  4 people are going, seems to have worked out well; tabled motion will determine what positions go in 2017

 

o    BIRT the CMSA supports the proposed renovations to the Bacs Centre (2-5 min)

§  Responsible: Nilo Abdo, Ruchika

§  Coderre said all good!

 

o    BIRT that the CMSA approves the funding policy for CMSA Student Groups (2-5 min)

§  Responsible: Nilo Abdo, Ruchika

§  Sent out today

 

 

Tabled resolutions:

o   BIRT ... the CMSA amend our constitution to include the stipulation that student roles (with earmarked budget items) involving the representation of the CMSA or the general student body to external bodies (as a voting or consulting member) with influence over the student experience (for example, the CFMS, AMA, CMA or CPSA) be generally elected positions. (10 min)

§  Dismissed

 

o   BIRT that The CMSA will send the following elected positions annually to Federal Lobby Day: VP External, GAAC and GHA beginning in September 2017. (10 min)

§  Motion tabled until next meeting

 

o   BIRT that a document which contains all major events hosted by CMSA members and University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine Interest Groups be created, updated and available to all U of C medicine students. (10 min)

§  Motion tabled until next meeting

§  New clubs policy – enter events into calendar

§  Mover: Nicole Thompson

 

 

Additional Resolutions:

·       BIRT the CMSA formally cease development of the potential scholarship fund discussed in the Fall of 2015.

o   Mover: David Reading

o   Seconder: Steph Smith

o   Resolution passes

 

·       BIRT the following be approved as parliamentary procedures for CMSA Meetings

o   Order of Business

1.      Call to Order

2.      Notation of member’s present

3.      Approval and/or amendment of minutes

4.      Presentations, reports and/or discussions

5.      Special orders

6.      Unfinished business

7.      New business

8.      Announcements

9.      Adjournment

o   Details of Debate

1.      Debate will proceed in a pro/con manner (3 pros followed by 3 cons)

2.      Questions will be dealt with prior to moving on to the next speaker (Point of Information)

3.      Members can reference Roberts Rules for the CMSA during meetings, and the membership can introduce new elements that they see fit in future CMSA meetings. Additional details: I will be posting this and the additional long-form of the Roberts Rules document that I created on our CMSA Facebook page.

o   Mover: Sarah Smith

o   Seconder: Nicole Thompson

o   Should talk about changes that were made previously and how they are working

o   Amendment:

§  Change “presentation and/or reports” to “presentations, reports and/or discussions”

§  Mover: Nicole

§  Seconder: Na’ama

§  Amendment passes

o   Resolution passes

 

·       BIRT the CMSA will allocate $50 to a card and gift basket to be delivered to April Gustavson, on behalf of the classes of 2017, 2018, and 2019, to remind her during this rough time how much she’s cared about.

o   Mover: Ruchika

o   Seconder: Steph

o   Resolution passes

 

 

December 2016 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Monday, December 5, 2016

 

Attendance:

 

Samantha Cheuk

David Reading

Nilo Abdo

Ruchika Sharma

Ray Yan

Bruce Gao

Chantal Badger

Katy Petrovitch

Lauren Galbraith

Madison Peaker

Na’ama Avitzur

Sarah Smith

Lenka Stafl

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Emily Macphail

Sunny Ho

Danielle Smith (Global Health Advocate)

Stephanie Smith

 

Absent:

Lauren Griggs

Mackenzie Grisdale

Steven Toor

Jenny Saunders

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·      Intro (Icebreaker)

·      What do you like most about the holiday season?

 

November CMSA Minutes

BIRT that CMSA council approves November minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

(Unanimous Approval)

 

BIRT The CMSA consider the establishment of a Climate Change/Medical Sustainability Representative as a non-exec CMSA position.

(To be elected with the student executive for the class of 2020)

Mover: Danielle Smith (Unanimous approval)

Seconder: Nicole Thompson

Responsible: Danielle Smith

 

BIRT that a working group will amend the joint letter between student leaders and administration regarding recent medical learner suicides in Canada (5 min)

Responsible: Nilo, Ruchika, Lenka, Emilly

 

BIRT that CMSA student groups will operate as per guidelines posted on the CMSA website (2 mins)

Responsible: Nilo, Ruchika, Lenka

 

BIRT the inaugural medical student advocacy sympoisium be named the Calgary Medical Student’s Association Symposium

Responsible: Mackenzie

 

BIRT the CMSA VP External Budget line for the CFMS AGM be increased

Responsible: Chantal

 

BIRT the CMSA accepts the support of the AMA in regards to the Inaugural Advocacy Symposium

Responsible: Mackenzie

 

BIRT 7000 dollars is budgeted towards student group funding under the SAW budget line for this year 2016-2017, additional years will be discussed during annual budget creation.  With an additional electronic vote for the funding framework in 2 weeks following November 7, 2016 Responsible: Ruchika

 

BIRT CMSA’s large sign be designed, budgeted and printed to the discretion of VP SAW (Lenka) and VP Academic (Sarah), with VP Op-Fi’s (Lauren, Katy) consultation

Responsible: Lenka, Sarah

 

BIRT the CMSA develop more specific objectives for the Electives Representative re: their responsibilities during the Clerkship Elective selection period

Responsible: David

 

(Break)

 

Additional Resolutions

 

BIRT ... the CMSA amend our constitution to include the stipulation that student roles (with earmarked budget items) involving the representation of the CMSA or the general student body to external bodies (as a voting or consulting member) with influence over the student experience (for example, the CFMS, AMA, CMA or CPSA) be generally elected positions.

(Motion to Table until next meeting)

Mover: Chantal

Opposed: David Reading

Seconder: Sarah Smith

 

BIRT that an application process be developed and distributed to all students regarding the 4th participant position at Federal Lobby Day 2016 by December 16, 2016. 

Call to Motion Seconded

Mover: Nicole Thompson

Responsible: Nicole Thompson, Stephanie Smith

Seconder: Alex Dittrich

 

BIRT that The CMSA will send the following elected positions annually to Federal Lobby Day: VP External, GAAC and GHA beginning in September 2017.

(Motion to Table until next meeting)

Unanimous Decision

 

BIRT that a document which contains all major events hosted by CMSA members and University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine Interest Groups be created, updated and available to all U of C medicine students.

(Call to Table until next meeting)

Mover: Nicole Thompson

Seconder:

 

BIRT the CMSA supports the proposed renovations to the Bacs Centre

 

Mover: Nilo Abdo

Seconder: Ruchika

(Unanimous Decision – Motion Passed)

 

BIRT that the CMSA approves the funding policy for CMSA Student Groups

 

Mover: Nilo Abdo

Seconder: Sunny Ho

Unanimous Decision- Motion Passed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

November 2016 Meeting

CMSA Meeting Minutes – Monday, November 7, 2016

 

Attendance:

 

Samantha Cheuk

David Reading

Nilo Abdo

Ruchika Sharma

Ray Yan

Bruce Gao

Chantal Badger

Katy Petrovitch

Mackenzie Grisdale

Lauren Galbraith

Madison Peaker

Jenny Saunders

Na’ama Avitzur

Sarah Smith

Lauren Griggs

Lenka Stafl

Uzair Jogiat

Nicole Thompson

Alex Dittrich

Emily Macphail

Sunny Ho

Steven Toor

 

 

Absent:

Stephanie Smith

 

Meeting Agenda (2 hours)

·      Intro (15 mins)

o   Ice breaker, getting food, call for new agenda items

o   Food: Please update the google form that Emily set up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-yTLJ3C4Vj6IoKmxKcFVdcWWW0DPlnMzZ4IdQBydJic/edit

 

·      Updates (5 mins) and approve October minutes (2 mins)

o   Type in your updates here before the meeting (http://bit.ly/2bOpUSX). Any critical updates can still be brought forward to council at this time.

o   SU Updates

§  Won injunction hearing -  SU now manages all bookings for Mac Hall

§  Pet therapy Nov 22nd (Feasby lounge)

§  Board games and pizza Nov 30th (Feasby lounge)

o   BIRT that CMSA council approves October minutes to be posted to calgarymsa.com

§  Mover: Ray

§  Seconder: Katy

 

 

·      Update on previous resolutions

o   BIRT CMSA reviews the UME funding amounts and creates an action plan to use the funds available to us (5 mins)

§  Responsible: Katy, Chantal, Mackenzie

§  Got $2000, look to get next $2000 in December

 

o   BIRT We develop a letter as student council as to how we view the new parking changes and to advocate for our classmates affected by this - and to bring up the issue with UME, as it potentially affects accessibility to attending classes (10 min)

§  1-page letter drafted to send to UME/ AHS parking authority to have signed off by the CMSA student council

§  Send it off tonight after edits incorporated

§  Responsible: Ray

 

o   BIRT The student council decide on the best and most efficient way to select a new IT officer from the class of 2019 for CMSA duty. Where the previous Dholes elections officer is consulted and a message is drafted to elect a new elections officer and IT officer. These positions will be confirmed by vote of confidence in the spring. (10 min)

§  One person who was interested in election’s officer; has been put in touch with Goat election’s officer (Victoria Nkunu)

§  IT officer – new name “Communications director”, position filled (Michelle Workun-Hill) – she is the one we get in contact with when we need to send something out; start weekly newsletter and will set up weekly updates, manages calendar

§  Responsible: Ray, Uzair

 

o   BIRT the CMSA develop an "Elective Roadmap” to aid students in the decisions they should be making prior to and during the selection of Clerkship Electives, for which a goat and dhole task force will be developed that liases with the UME (10 mins)

§  Responsible: Lauren Galbraith, Ruchika

§  Document started by Lauren; will be finished by Ruchika and Lauren this month and presented to CMSA next meeting; everyone will read it, get it approved and completed before clerkship

 

o   BIRT the CMSA propose that timely notice and direction be given to students around planning Electives earlier (near the end of Course 4) (10 mins)

§  Still working on it; similar to above resolution

§  Responsible: David

 

o   BIRT that CMSA develop a large banner/sign for future events – to signify that an event is endorsed by CMSA (ex. Interview days, Clubs day, advocacy day, etc..)

o   Sarah got quote from Imagine Printing (does all of U of C banners); between options, actual banner stays the same, stand changes with both options

§  Option 1: $276+ tax (1-year warranty)

§  Option 2: $420+ tax (5-year warranty)

§  $80/hr for design (2 hours to design)

o   Are we willing to design it ourselves? Do we want a better quality sign?

o   Responsible: Lenka, Sarah

 

o   BIRT the CMSA develop more specific objectives for the Electives Representative re: their responsibilities during the Clerkship Elective selection period (10 mins)

§  Responsible: David Reading

§  Resolution tabled until next meeting

 

 

·      Tabled from last meeting

o   BIRT that CMSA develops a funding framework or process for interest groups to secure funding

§  Responsible: Nilo, Katy, Lauren, Ruchika

§  Develop funding policy; UME wants to build theirs off ours

§  Can give out $10,000 a year (from increase in fees); three application deadlines – up to $500/submission

§  Have to provide information why they need funding and committee will determine who is and isn’t successful – dependent on money and applications received

§  Needs revision

 

o   BIRT that CMSA council defines what a student group actually entails, especially for funding and CMSA website presence

§  Amendment: BIRT that CMSA student groups will operate as per guidelines posted on the CMSA website

§  Voted to accept amendment

§  Want to figure out who is eligible; each group is supposed to hold 2 events, track what they do; application process doesn’t screen for this, needs to be revamped – want to make sure that groups will hold at least 2 events and that 15 members will go, majority of members (75%) are CMSA members

§  Table this resolution with a new proposal

§  Mover: Lauren

§  Seconder: Lenka

§  Responsible: Nilo, Ruchika, Lenka

 

 

·      Resolutions

o   BIRT that the inaugural medical student advocacy symposium be named the Calgary Medical Students’ Association Advocacy Symposium

§  Mover: Mackenzie

§  Seconder: Ruchika

§  Responsible: Mackenzie

 

o   BIRT that the CMSA accepts the support of the AMA in regards to the inaugural Advocacy Symposium, with a disclaimer of being without Adium Insurance

§  Mover: Mackenzie

§  AMA will give us money to help with printing posters for the event

§  Seconder: Sam

§  Responsible: Mackenzie

 

o   BIRT the CMSA VP External Budget line for the CFMS AGM for 2016-2017 be increased from $5000-$7000

§  Mover: Chantal

§  Seconder: David

§  Need more money to cover costs of registration and would like more money for following years; supported by budget

 

o   BIRT that $7,000 is budgeted towards student group funding under the SAW budget line for 2016, additional years will be discussed during annual budget creation. With an additional electronic vote for the funding framework in 2 weeks following November 7, 2016.

§  Mover: Ruchika

§  Seconder: Nilo

§  Responsible: Ruchika, Nilo, Lauren Griggs, Katy

 

o   BIRT that CMSA’s large sign be designed, budgeted and printed with VP SAW (Lenka) and VP Academic (Sarah) with VP Op-Fi’s (Lauren, Katy) consultation, to their discretion

§  Mover: Mackenzie

§  Seconder: Nile

§  Responsible: Lenka, Sarah, Lauren, Katy

 

o   BIRT the CMSA make an executive decision to appoint Mike Sage to the Family Medicine Interest Group

§  Mover: Uzair

§  Seconder: No seconder

§  Proceed to a by-election

 

o   BIRT that a working group will amend the joint letter between student leaders and administration regarding recent medical learner suicides in Canada

§  Mover: Bruce

§  Seconder: Nicole

§  Responsible: Nilo, Ruchika, Emily, Lenka

§  What are the responses from other medical schools in regards to these issues; some schools are taking similar strategy to us, others are sending general wellness letter

§  Want to post this letter as soon as possible, but we need to get edits from council – VP SAW’s will have edits in by Wednesday at noon, take it to Dr. Cusano, have it ready to go by Thursday evening to council, can go out on Monday

§  CC working group to Drs Cusano and Coderre to let them know plan going forward and when we will send it out

 

·      Hands in!!!