Accreditation Results: July 2016
Your one stop shop for accreditation
Welcome to the Cumming School of Medicine (CSM) Calgary Medical Students Association (CMSA) accreditation page. It is our hope that this page serves as a central information hub for all matters pertaining to accreditation of the Undergraduate Medical Education (UME) MD program.
What is accreditation?
Every Canadian & American medical school undergoes accreditation approximately every 8 years by the Liaison Committee of Medical Education (LCME) and the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS). Every medical school is evaluated upon 12 standards, broken into 95 elements. These standards/elements have recently been revised for Canadian schools - CSM is amongst the first schools being evaluated using these new criteria.
Accreditation is a continuous quality improvement process, to ensure that the school is achieving prescribed standards. Moreover, it is a self-reflection opportunity for the school to critically evaluate the strengths as well as areas of improvement for the program.
The accreditation preparation process at the Cumming School of Medicine has been on going since June 2014. Over the course of the last 18 months students have been actively engaged in many aspects of accreditation.
Students have been involved on all accreditation committees. As part of accreditation, students from the Classes of 2015 to 2018 were involved in the creation, development, analysis and writing of the Independent Student Analysis (ISA). The ISA is a requirement of the accreditation process. The student accreditation process has been committed to:
- Broad consultation and participation
- Capturing the student perspectives since the last accreditation visit (2008)
- Referencing external literature, best practices and national data sets
- Grounding analysis and recommendations in data
Calgary ISA Highlights
- Utilized a unique 2 survey, pre-survey in January 2015 and accreditation survey. April 2015 model, as well as sample surveys in the Fall of 2015.
- The main ISA survey achieved an aggregate student response rate of 90%.
- The ISA committee invited all students from the Classes of 2015-2018 to provide feedback on the penultimate draft of the ISA.
- The final ISA included comments and direct participation by over 20% of the current student body.
- The final ISA was unanimously approved by CMSA in November 2015 prior to submission to CACMS.
When is the accreditation site visit? And what can I expect?
The Cumming School of Medicine will have its site visit February 28th to March 2nd 2016. During this visit 39 students will participate in meetings and tours with the accreditors.